- Write down the comic script. Based on that story, sketch out characters’ silhouettes and environments. Once sketched, select one construction type and draw provisional orthographic views. Stress-test the silhouette by drawing the character at different situations in order to visualize anatomic needs and make construction decisions.
- Detailed Three‑Quarters view uses definitive lineart and perspective. Turnaround using lineart to preview reproduction needs later on panel drawing. Character Sheet shows character’s acting face deformations.
- Clothes & Gear Sheet shows how the character is going to be dressed at every scene in the script. Important for coordinating with other characters and environment, also because of color harmonies.
- Paint concept art for main characters and scene environments. Give clues and make decisions about lighting and environment conditions for key scenes in the script.
Based on Sketches of the whole environment from different perspectives, draw elevations for the cabin and the car (without deformations) using a vector program (Illustrator in this case). Import the elevations into Maya to rough out 3D models and export into a scene. Cheap render viewport and use the picture as a template for paintover. Using rough brushes, paint out the general look of the environment.
Do not concentrate on details, keep it “impressionistic”. Details come later, at the production phase of the pipeline (modeling, texturing and visual effects).
Model for her body, dress and necklace as well as motion capture, provided by MPC. Test the models with different degrees of detail, skin the mesh to her body and apply nucleus Cloth on the skirts to follow deformations. Same thing with necklace: use a spline connected to nucleus Hair to hang it on her neck and collide with her body.
- Project: Sole Kern Bauerfeind
- Photo‑Realistic 3D Prop
- Design: Manicx
- Hard Surface High Poly SubDiv
- Render Time
Goal: Show molten plastic injection process to make the actual kern, which later fits into a shoe-sole. Model the kern, use it as a container for nucleus Particles, emit from the sides, like in actual factory. Apply several textured layers to reproduce the look of solidified plastic, including reliefs, scratches, subsurface scattering, transparency, speculars and sparkles. Model the rest of the sole and render passes to composite: Diffuse, reflections, refractions, subsurface scattering and motion vector.