Organic and Hard Surface Modeling examples: Edge loops, anatomically correct deformations. Displacement and normal maps. Low polygon modeling, high polygon subdivision and sculpting.
My general workflow for modeling characters, environment and props consists on:
- Drawing orthographic views and elevations.
- Modeling the big silhouette first, no details.
- Import into ZBrush, sculpt silhouette details using Dynamesh.
- Retopology the mesh.
- Open UVW, apply finer details.
- Export retopologized model, displacement and normal maps.
- In some specific cases, it could come to applying details from finished sculpting into the retopologized model.